Anthony J. Nocella II, Ph.D., award-winning author, community leader, and educator is a Senior Fellow of the Dispute Resolution Institute at the Hamline Law School. Nocella is a scholar-activist grounded in the field of education and peace and conflict studies. He is internationally known for his innovative, transformative, and intersectional collaborations among fields of study, social movements, scholars, communities, and activists.
Dr. Nocella has published more than fifty scholarly articles or book chapters, co-founded more than ten active political organizations and serves on four boards. He has founded three book series and co-founded three journals – Green Theory and Praxis, Peace Studies Journal, and Journal of Critical Animal Studies, is on the editorial board of three other journals, and has published more than fifteen books.
Areas of Expertise: social justice education, school to prison pipeline, urban education, cultural relevant pedagogy, critical pedagogy, disability studies/pedagogy, environmental education/justice, ecopedagogy, youth culture, transformative justice, hip hop studies, gender and sexuality studies, critical animal studies, eco-ability, and justice, peace and conflict studies.
A long-time facilitator, Nocella provides training and workshops on peace-building, diversity awareness, nonviolence direct action, conflict management, alternatives to violence and crime and security analysis in — prisons, youth detention facilities, universities, government agencies, nonprofits, community groups, religious groups, and high schools and middle schools.
As a mediator, negotiator and facilitator, Nocella provides consulting to nonprofits (e.g., annual goals and project development), governmental agencies (e.g., schools), persons (e.g., tenet disputes), and community groups (e.g., community environmental project vs. local government and/or corporations).
- Government: the Onondaga County School District, numerous high schools and middle schools in New York, Hillbrook Youth Detention Facility, NY prisons, Justice Center, Syracuse, NY jail, ROTC, U.S. Military, law enforcement, Texas legislature, and Environmental Protection Agency.
- Organizations: Alternatives to Violence Project, American Friends Service Committee, Christian Peacemaker Teams, Rainforest Action Network, ACLU, Dallas Peace Center, GreenPeace, Fund for Animals, Black Student Union, Sierra Club, PFLAG, Fresno Peace Center, Houston Peace and Justice Center, Boy Scouts of America, Animal Defense League, Houston GLBT Community Center, Revolt!, SSSP, Anti-Racist Action, Mennonite Central Committee, Society for Disability Society, ROAR and hundreds of others.
- Universities: Brock University, SUNY Cortland, University of Texas, Fresno State University, Fresno Pacific University, UCLA, University of St. Thomas, Hofstra University, New York, New York University Law School, Rutgers University Law School, Syracuse University, Le Moyne College, SUNY, Fredonia, Boston College, University of Pennsylvania, Haverford College, Swarthmore College, University of Texas, Yale University, Princeton University, National University in Bogotá, Colombia, and hundreds of others throughout North America.
- Radio and Television: Nocella regularly conducts interviews about his books, events, and organizations.
***Depending on the time, travel, and topic of concern, Anthony is often willing to speak, facilitate, and mediate for free if it is a social justice grass-roots organization. To reach him directly please contact him at: email@example.com
- Professional and personal email – nocellat[@]yahoo.com